Re: [CH] CH Intro & Request

Stephen Tanner (SBahrd@a-o.com)
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 11:20:42 -0400

TraceyDJ wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has any good chile relleno recipes they would like
> to share with me.  My dad was recently in Texas and whenever we meet to go eat
> out he talks about how good those chile rellenos were. I thought I would try
> to get a recipe and make them for him.

Here's one from my web page:

								Recipe #46

	Chile Rellenos
	Recipe by Tarheel Steve

	INGREDIENTS

	8 Green Anaheim or New Mexico chiles(7-8" long)
	2 tbs Cooking oil
	1/2 cup Chopped onion
	1 tbs Garlic, minced
	1 lb Lean beef, pork butt, or chorizo, diced to 1/4" pieces
	1/4 cup Raisins, chopped
	1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped fine
	1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
	1/4 tsp Ground allspice
	1/4 tsp Grated nutmeg
	Salt and Pepper
	2 medium Tomatoes, diced to 1/2" pieces
	2 1/2 cups Beef broth, canned
	1 tbs Butter
	2 tbs Flour
	1/2 cup Milk
	1 Egg yolk
	3 Egg whites

	PREPARATION

	Put the chiles on a sheet pan and place them under the broiler of
	the oven.
	Turn them regularly until they are well blistered on all sides.
	Place the chiles on 1/2 of a damp dish towel; fold the other half
 	over to cover.
	Allow to set for 1/2 hour, uncover, and remove the skins.
	Cut a slit down one side of each chile and remove the seeds; rinse
 	and set aside.
	Heat a heavy skillet and add the cooking oil; saute onions and
 	garlic.
	Add the meat and cook until browned.
	Stir in raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
	Add 1 1/2 cups of beef broth and 1/2 of the tomatoes.
	Cook, stirring frequently until the liquid has nearly evaporated;
 	salt and pepper to taste.
	Allow to cool enough to handle.
	Spoon the meat mixture into the prepared chiles and place two
	stuffed chiles into each of 4 greased individual casserole dishes.
	Melt the butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat.

				(continued)

								Recipe #46
								(continued)

	Sprinkle in the flour stirring with a wire whisk; continue to cook
 	and stir for 1 minute.
	Gradually add milk and continue to cook until thick and bubbly,
 	stirring constantly.
	Remove from heat; gradually stir 1/4 of the milk mixture into the
	egg yolk.
	Add to the remaining hot mixture and set aside.
	Beat the egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form.
	Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the milk mixture.
	Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
	Spoon 1/2 cup of the egg mixture over each serving of stuffed
	chiles.
	Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until browned.
	Combine remaining broth and tomatoes in a saucepan and cook until
	thickened; salt and pepper to taste.
	Pour 1/4 cup of sauce around each casserole and serve immediately.

--
Steve Tanner
Tarheel Steve's Pots, Pans, & Poetry