[CH] Re: Red curry paste

Doug Irvine (dirvin@bc.sympatico.ca)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 20:30:08 -0700

george dark wrote:

> Yes, please, tell me how to make the curry paste per your
> recent CH post. Thanks,
> George Dark
> gdark@dfw.net
Hi George...as I have no idea where you are in this world, I do not know
what your supply of chiles may be or what may be available to you, so I
will go with dried...if fresh are available, by all means use em!
12	dried red chile peppers
3	tbls coarsely chopped garliC
1	tbls chopped fresh lemon grass(or 2tbls chopped lemon zest)
1	tbls peanut oil
2	tbls chopped green onion, white only
1	tbls sugar
2	tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cardamom

Soak all dried ingredients in hot water, until soft, then place al
ingredients in a blender or food processor until mixed to form a smooth
paste...if necessary to add water, use the soaking water from the dry
chiles, and only use enough to make a paste...this will make about 1/2
cup or a little more, and may be frozen or will keep refrigerated for
about two to three weeks.  If fresh are used, use less chile, depending
on your heat tolerance!  A word on that, if I may...we like hot, but we
also like flavour, and if the heat kills the flavour, then cut down on
the heat...this has been our motto for a great many years that I have
been cooking and eating(and feeding my better half), and it works for
us, so it is up to you...the end rsult is how does it taste? Cheers from
Doug in BC