Re: [CH] Rellenos de Papas

Walt Gray (waltgray@mnsinc.com)
Sat, 02 May 1998 23:04:01 -0400

Judy Howle wrote:

> Does anybody have a recipe for potato balls stuffed with meat, or Rellenos
> de Papas?  Someone emailed me wanting it.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Stuffed Potatoes (Papas Rellenos)

Recipe By     : James W. Peyton, El Norte Cookbook (Cuisine of No.
Categories    : Potato                           Chile

   8      ounces        white potatoes -- peeled
   2                    poblano chiles -- stemmed --  seeded,
                        peeled --  and finely chopped,
                         about 2/3 cup
   4      pieces        bacon
     1/4  cup           chorizo
   1      tablespoon    olive oil
     1/2  cup           queso fresco -- or Monterey Jack
                        cheese --  grated
     1/2  cup           sour cream
     1/2  cup           queso panela -- or feta cheese

 Simmer the peeled potatoes in water to cover until they are soft enough to
pierce fairly easily with a skewer except toward the center.  This will take
about 20 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water and when they are cool
enough to handle slice a 1/4-inch piece lengthwise from one side to create a
level surface. Using a paring knife and medium-sized spoon, cut and scoop out
the interiors of the potatoes from the flattened side, leaving a 1/4- to 1/3
inch wall all around. It is important that the interior portion of the
potatoes, which is removed and which will be the stuffing, be firm and cut
into fairly equal-sized pieces of 1/2 inch. Place the chopped potato centers
in a bowl and add the chopped poblano chiles. Heat a skillet over medium heat
and fry the bacon until it is crisp;  then remove and reserve it. Fry the
chorizo until it is golden and  remove and reserve it. Toss the oil with the
chopped potato centers and  chiles and fry until the potatoes are crisp and
golden brown; then place  them in a bowl. Chop the bacon and add it and the
chorizo to the potato/chile mixture  and allow it to come to room temperature.
Stir in the queso fresco or Monterey Jack cheese and the sour cream. Fill the
reserved potato shells with the above mixture and bake until they are hot and
cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Place potatoes on serving plates and
sprinkle on the queso panela or feta cheese.   Serve with broiled meats or
poultry. Adapted for MasterCook by Brenda Adams <adamsfmle@sprintmail.com>
James W. Peyton; El Norte, The Cuisine of Northern Mexico posted mc 11/12/96

--
   Walt Gray --- Alexandria, Virginia
   AIM Captain113