Re: [CH] Fried Ice Cream

Walt Gray (waltgray@mnsinc.com)
Sat, 02 May 1998 23:07:46 -0400

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Fried ice cream

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Dessert                          Ice Cream

   1 1/2   c            unbleached all-purpose flour
   1       tb           sugar
   1       t            salt
   1       tb           vegetable oil
   2       lg           egg yolks -- lightly beaten
     3/4   c            flat beer
   8                    balls ice cream -- any flavor,
                        -   about 1 qua
   2       c            cornflakes -- slightly crushed
   1       qt           peanut oil
   2       lg           egg whites

  The day before serving, make the batter.  Mix the flour, sugar, salt, oil
and egg yolks in a mixing bowl.  Gradually stir in the beer. Refrigerate
overnight.  Also, the day before serving, coat the ice cream balls
thoroughly with the crushed cornflakes.  Place the ice cream balls in the
coldest part of the freezer and freeze overnight.  When ready to serve,   heat
the peanut oil, in a deep fat fryer or deep pot, to 375 Degrees F.   Beat the
egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter. Coat 2 or three   of the ice
cream balls completely and heavily with the batter and add to   the hot oil.
Turn up the heat to maintain a temperature of 375 Degrees F.   Fry the ice
cream until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper   towels,
draining briefly.  Serve immediately.  Repeat with the remaining   ice cream
balls. By Connie Robertson <clonnie@cyberhighway.net> on Apr 9, 1997

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         FRIED MEXICAN ICE CREAM

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Mexican                          Ice Cream
                Dessert

   1       pt           Vanilla ice cream OR
                        -other flavor
     1/2   c            Crushed cornflake OR
                        -cookie crumbs
   1       t            Ground cinnamon
   2       ts           Sugar
   1                    Egg
                        Oil for deep frying
                        Honey
                        Whipped cream

  Scoop out 4 to 5 balls of ice cream. Return to freezer. Mix cornflake
crumbs, cinnamon and sugar. Roll frozen ice cream balls in half of crumb
mixture and freeze again. Beat egg and dip coated balls in egg, then roll
again in remaining crumbs. Freeze until ready to use. (For thicker coating,
repeat dipping in egg and rolling in crumbs.) When ready to serve, heat oil
to 350F. Place 1 frozen ice cream ball in fryer basket or on perforated
spoon and lower into hot oil 1 minute. Immediately remove and place in
dessert dish. Drizzle with honey and top with dollop of whipped cream.
Continue to fry balls one at a time. Balls will be crunchy on outside and
just beginning to melt inside. Makes 4 to 5 servings

--
   Walt Gray --- Alexandria, Virginia
   AIM Captain113