Re: [CH] Possums

The Old Bear (oldbear@arctos.com)
Sun, 03 May 1998 08:39:04 -0400

In ChileHead's DIgest, v.4 No.339, Lorraine Heidecker wrote:

>Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 09:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Lorraine Heidecker <lheid@saclink.csus.edu>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Possums
>
>. . . My POINT (and I do have one) is that they were very wary of dogs
>so I expect the coyote urine suggestion would work just fine!  (Or you
>could get a dog or leave one you may have out at night!)  . . .
>
>Peace, love and peppers
>
>Lorraine

As has been point out, the North American "Opossum" and the Australian
"Possum" are two distinct critters.

Some Chile Heads may have heard the April 30th audio documentary on
U.S. National Public Radio on the "Tasmanian Devil" -- which appears
to be a natural predator of the Australian possum.  Given its
ominivourous talents, one might presume the Tasmanian Devil also to be
effective against the North American Oppossum -- not to mention one's
neighbor's pit bull, door-to-door missionaries, unwelcome prowlers, or
those thoughtless people who have been using the sidewalk adjacent to
your property.

  April 30, 1998 -- The latest NPR/National Geographic Radio
  Expedition is to the island of Tasmania to meet the legendary
  Tasmanian devil.  This ferocious animal, named for its nasty
  disposition and island of origin, is -- unlike the Warner Brothers
  cartoon character -- a small, black marsupial that walks on four
  legs.  Roughly the size of a large beagle, the devil is
  characterized by its sharp teeth, aggressive stance and voracious
  appetite.

  Tasmanian devils are found only on Tasmania, an island off the
  southern coast of Australia.  And surprisingly, their population is
  increasing.  Wildlife experts believe there are more devils alive
  now than there were before the introduction of roads and cars.  A
  major reason for the population boom is industrialization, a
  phenomenon that normally destroys native species.  The Tasmanian
  devil has adapted to development by turning to a new food source --
  roadkill.

  National Geographic photographer David Doubilet journeyed to
  Tasmania and spoke to John and Carolyn Hamilton, proprietors of a
  local wildlife center where orphaned and injured devils are taken
  in, rehabilitated, and when possible, released.  Listen to Morning
  Edition host NPR's Alex Chadwick as he takes us to the South
  Pacific to meet the Tasmanian devil.  Real Audio at:

Cheers,
The Old Bear