[CH] Olfactory Senses

Randy (rock4u@rocketmail.com)
Mon, 4 May 1998 13:51:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Andie,

Some comments:

---Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net> wrote:

(some snipped)

> Somewhere around San Bernardino, I began to notice an odor, actually
> rather pleasant, that reminded me of rare roast beef.

You have pegged something few have noticed!

> I stopped to refuel and walk the dogs in Indio  and  had to get
> something to eat because I was salivating because the smell was even
> more pronounced.

This is the good thing about grilling those critters long periods over
low heat (especially on Labor Day Weekend when you're not alone) -
that wonderful aroma drives ya crazy!

(more snipped)

> Apparently a possum had crawled up on top of the engine while it was
> parked in the driveway for a cosy nap.

Well, at least it wasn't the family feline!

Is anyone
> here on the list old enough to remember when Reynolds aluminum  put
out
> a little recipe book  on "motor" cooking?   One could wrap a potato or
> various veggies and some kind of meat or chicken in foil, lay it on
top
> of the motor and take off for a picnic  and on arrival have a fully
> cooked meal.     I wonder if I could roast peppers this
> way.........Hummmmmmmmm.

I didn't see the cookbook but my old line of work required long
periods of time in the wilderness.  At lunch while everyone else was
manifold baking beanie-weinies and spam I was kinda like Rael on his
line and was going for the fish flavor - toasted Kipper Snacks - not
quiet squid but close enough in a tight!  And as usual in any sort of
cooking - my favorite pepper sauces were always added.

Thanks for the memories!

rr

===
What the superior man seeks is in himself:
what the small man seeks is in others.

*Francois De La Rochefoucauld {1613-1680 French Classical Writer}