Re: [CH] grounhogs agin

Brad Lewis (bal99@jane.penn.com)
Tue, 5 May 1998 12:23:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Steve,

I know where you're coming from. Last year the little devils ate all my
cilantro and parsley. And I see 'em running all around this year, too.

You could do like my one friend did- He'd watch for them and whenever he'd
see one, he'd take off after it screaming and waving a big stick. A couple
times he even caught up to them and walloped them. NOT exactly the PETA
approved method, I'm sure, but it would give you plenty of exercise!!

I tried spreading naphthalene (mothballs'll work) around the perimeter of
the garden. That actually did seem to do the job. The naphthalene slowly
"evaporates" away and doesn't seem to stunt the plants' growth-just don't
put any ON the plants.

This might not be the most environmentally friendly method, but it did
seem to work. If anyone has a method which doesn't involve aromatic
hydrocarbons, I'd be interested in trying it.

Brad