Re: [CH] Cilantro Recipes

David A. Verbil (dverbil@primenet.com)
Sat, 9 May 1998 09:02:09 -0700

On  8 May 98 at 17:30, AB Garbot wrote:

> Anyway, I am trying to find some good, spicy recipes containing
> cilantro.  Of course, I am using plenty in fresh salsas, but
> there must be other recipes that use more than a sprig or two!

Angie,
     Here's a recipe that I really enjoy ... and family and
friends agitate for me to make more often :-)>

I, of course, do not make it exactly as the recipe is written -
I'll add my usual changes below the recipe. The only change
I've made to the copy of the recipe is to delete the process for
roasting the chiles ... after the first few recipes that give
that info, I got tired entering it into my database ...

MMMMM----- Recipe via UNREGISTERED Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: New Mexico Chili with Lamb
 Categories: Chili, Good, Lamb
      Yield: 1 Batch

      2 tb Vegetable oil
      2 lb Lamb, cubed
  1 1/2 md Onions, chopped
      4 ea Garlic cloves, minced
      8 ea New Mexico, Anaheim or
           - Poblano chiles
      1 ea Tomato sauce, 8 oz can
      2 ea Jalapenos or Serranos, to 4
      1 ts Oregano, dried
    1/4 ts Sage, dried
    1/3 c  Cilantro, fresh, chopped
      1 ts Salt (approx)

  In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil and cook the lamb until
  browned on all sides. If the skillet is large enough, add the
  onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes longer, then transfer to a
  large pot. If the skillet is not large enough, remove the lamb
  to a large pot. Add additional oil to the skillet, if needed.
  Saute the onion and garlic 5 minutes, then add to the lamb. Add
  about 3 cups water. Bring the stew to a boil, reduce heat and
  simmer at least 1 1/2 hours. Add water if needed.

  While the lamb is simmering, roast, peel and seed the green
  chiles.

  Chop half the chiles and add to the stew. Put the other half in
  a blender or food processor with the tomato sauce and puree
  until smooth. Add the puree to the stew, along with the
  jalapenos or serranos, the oregano, and sage. About 10 minutes
  before the chili is done, add the fresh cilantro and salt.
  Taste and adjust seasonings.

  From: The Real Chili Cookbook, by Marjie Lambert

MMMMM

When I make it, I use 2 large onions, usually 6 big cloves of
garlic, at _least_ 2 pounds of green chiles, always use Mexican
oregano, and as I usually purchase my cilantro and it goes funky
so quickly in the refrigerator, I chop up the whole bunch to
add. (If I'm making something like Xnipec at the same time, I'll
buy another bunch - I really like cilantro). I simmer it at
least 2 hours after the chiles are added (I get them ready
before I brown the meat) until the lamb is _very_ tender, then I
add the cilantro and simmer the last 10 minutes.

     Enjoy!
             DAVe