[CH] Worst Salsa...hey, that brings up a pet peeve!!!

J&M Daily (daily@capital.net)
Fri, 15 May 1998 16:56:43 -0400 (EDT)

>Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:36:03 -0500
>From: "Michael Schapansky" <michael1@bga.com>
>Subject: [CH] The Worst salsa you've ever had.
>
>I went to a Mexican place in Miami one time where the salsa was fresh
>jalapenos ground up in a food processor with a little water.  No S&P.  Just
>Jalapenos and water.  Not the most imaginative.
>
>Where have you folks found the best and WORST salsas??
>
>Inquiring minds and all that.
>
>------------------------------

Yes, yes, YES!!!!
 I went to a place in Lake Placid (NY) called Cactus Pete's where (on a menu
even less exciting than Taco Hell's) I was amazed to find 'Jalepenos or
Habaneros upon request'. After asking (twice) for Habs to liven up my dish,
our waiter (who I think was actually the owner and, despite the average
food, I would eat there again because he was incredibly funny and
entertaining) said he make me up a batch, dissappeared for 10 mins and came
back with...TA-DA!! Fresh Jalepenos ground up in a food processor with a
little water!!! Then he said "here ya go" and left quickly (hoping, I think,
that I wouldn't know the difference).
 Anywho, your post brings me to just that point: restaurants that substitute
because they either think you can't handle the heat (there's a local Indian
place I won't ever give another try because of this) or because they don't
have the ingredients. Example? That pizza with Jalepenos I ordered the other
night showed up at my door with chunks of pepperoncini leaking vinegar onto
my cheese - UGH!!
 Does anyone else have a favorite story to share? I'm interested in learning
how you've dealt with this. I've tried (at the Indian restaraunt) telling
them I wanted the food "Authentically seasoned", but I still received bland
food with very little heat.

-John
(Wow...2 posts in a year...I'll shut up now! :)