Re: [CH] salsa verde

Michael Blakeley (mike@blakeley.com)
Sat, 16 May 1998 10:45:18 -0700

At 9:03 PM -0700 5/15/98, Chile-Heads Digest wrote:
> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:33:01 -0700
> From: Kit Anderson <kitridge@bigfoot.com>
>
> Salsa Verde Charro
> - ------------------
> 12 tomatillos, unhusked
> 1 small onion, sliced 1/4"
> 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
> 4 serranos, de-stemed
> 4 sprigs cilantro
> salt to taste
>
> Pan roast everything except cilantro to develop a nice, even char.
> Remove husks from tomatillos and blend everything, not puree.

You can get a really nice texture by passing the tomatillas, etc. through a
food mill instead. Use the disk with the largest holes.

For those that don't know, a food mill is something like a potato ricer -
looks like a somewhat-conical pot, only no bottom. You put a disk with
variously-sized holes in the bottom, and put a rotating plate assembly on
top. It's great for doing blender-jobs without over-blending, and also
tends to keep vegetable skins and seeds out of whatever you're making (to
what degree depends on which disk you use).

I have a great food mill from Williams-Sonoma, and I use it for salsas,
cream soups, pasta sauces, etc. Restaurant supply companies have _huge_
models for big jobs.

Save those blenders for blender drinks. Mmm!

Speaking of blender drinks: last time I made strawberry daqueris, I had a
surplus of basil lying around the kitchen. So I threw 5-7 leaves into the
bottom of the blender. It didn't turn the daqs green :-), but it did add a
subtle accent to the strawberries. Try it sometime.

--
Michael Blakeley      mike@blakeley.com    <http://www.blakeley.com/>
            Performance Analysis for Internet Technologies