Re: [CH] Pepper Plague?

Che Wong (che.wong@tempe.vlsi.com)
Tue, 19 May 1998 09:02:52 -0700

Hi Ed,

I looked at the picture of your plant. My guess is that on the
underside of the leaf, you have some sort of bug chewing into and
sucking juices from the leaf. My experience is that leaf curling
is usually associated with scarring of the tissue. As for the yellow
splotches, it may also be a symtom of the parasite or it could be
something else. Most bugs will leave some sort of sign on the underside
of the leaf; it may be a powdery film, droplets of plant sap or some
other evidence that will make it different than a leaf from a normal
plant.

If it is a bug (I'm guessing thrips), you can use a insceticidal soap
spray. If you get a commercial one, look for one with pyrethine (sp?)
in it. It is a strong natural poison that quickly dissapates. (Note
that natural still does not make it safe to spray with reckless abandon;
arsenic is also natural.)

Hope this helps, I'm sure you will get many other diagnosis. Nurserys and
county extension services can sometimes help if you bring them a leaf to
inspect.

--
Che Wong
che.wong@tempe.vlsi.com