Re: [CH] Chipolte cream sauce....

Jim Bardsley (bardsljr@umdnj.edu)
Fri, 29 May 1998 15:09:01 -0100

Aftre a quick web search, I found this: can anyone improve on it?

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

      Title: Chipotle Cream Sauce
 Categories: None
      Yield: 1 servings

     12    Dried chipotle chiles -
      1 ts Shallot - minced
           Stemmed
    1/2 ts Garlic - minced
      1    Stick unsalted butter (1/2
      1 c  Dry white wine
           Cup)
      2 c  Whipping cream
    1/2 c  Onion - diced
    1/2 ts Cornstarch dissolved in 2
           tsp of water
    1 tb Fresh rosemary - minced
  1 1/4 ts Freshly ground pepper
           More?

  Bring large pot of water to boil.  Add chiles and boil until
  tender, about 15 minutes.  Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking
  liquid. Puree chiles with 1/4 cup cooking liquid in blender.
  Strain through sieve. Set aside. Melt butter in heavy large
  skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 tablespoon chipotle paste,
  onion, rosemary, pepper, shallot and garlic and stir 2 minutes.
  Add wine and boil until reduced by half. Add cream and boil
  until reduced to thin sauce consistency, stirring occasionally,
  about 10 minutes.  Taste, adding more chipotle paste if desire.
  Add cornstarch mixture and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.  Cool completely.  Cover and
  refrigerate. Rewarm before using.) Makes 3-3/4 cups. Use with
  Crab Enchiladas with Chipotle Cream Sauce. Recipe from Sonora
  Cafe, Los Angeles, California.