Re: [CH] Recommendations for mail order "gift baskets"

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:04:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Dan Cole wrote:

> I want to mail-order a friend of mine a "gift basket" of hot sauces and for
> time's sake would like to do it over the Internet. Can anyone recommend an
> Internet site with a good collection of real, authentic hot sauces (not
> cayenne pepper in vinegar) that doesn't want $6 a bottle?

Try Turtle Dreams in Concord NH

Turtle Dreams - The Hot Foods Store - Home
http://www.turtledreams.com/

Stef Mattlage, the owner, was at the Boston Hotluck, and he's a great guy.
He brought the Strawberry Habanero Spirals that he posted about, and they
were very good.  I ate about half a dozen.  Anyway, enough about that.
His prices are much lower than the other places on the web (that I've
seen) and he has a very good selection.  Since it's a relatively small
place (which they all probably are) he can give you personalized
attention.

You're gonna get killed by shipping no matter where you go, but this place
isn't out to rape you.  They use UPS and from what I've seen on their web
pages, they don't seem to be trying to make money on the shipping too.

Disclaimers: I've emailed Steph before, but I only met him last weekend.
Someday, I'm going to drive up to his shop and buy a lot of stuff.  I
confess, I'm too cheap to pay the shipping costs from any place.  Outside
of that, I have no connection to Turtle Dreams, though I do wish it were
closer to Needham.  I do want to see him become more successful though.
I like having a good hotshop (with reasonable prices) in New England.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas