RE: [CH] Pickling Purple Peppers

MOORE John (MOOREJ@atea.mat.army.defence.gov.au)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:47:48 +1100

Russell,

You could try the brine method discussed recently.  You need to  mix
some salt in warm water (I think it's about 40 g per litre of water),
let it cool then pour over your chillies which you have packed into jars
along with garlic (not too much) and one of cabbage leaf/vine leaf or
oak leaf.  Some people also put in a small piece of rye bread.  Seal the
jars and leave at least a couple of weeks.  You will get a white deposit
at the bottom of the jar and a release of bubbles in the liquid when you
take the lid off.  (Look, mum, no vinegar!)  This method is good for
most vegetables and is best for fleshy chillies like rocotos (add a
little ginger) and jalapenos (add dill).  The great thing about this
pickling method is that the chillies retain their crispness.  Nothing
worse than mushy rocotos.  Sorry, no idea if this retains the purple
colour, but rocotos certainly stay bright red.

John Moore