Re: [CH] Offensive and Insulting

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@protix.com)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:10:45 -0600

At 11:27 AM 10/28/98 -0500, John Benz Fentner, Jr. wrote:
>Heh...Haggis actually...a dish roughly equivalent to
>wrapping the bilges of a tramp steamer in a pig's bladder.

Sheep's stomach, actually.  Plus heart, liver, lungs, oat meal, and onions.

>My wife, whose mother was born in Scotland, claims it's
>actually edible.

As one of the two Scots I know of on the list (Cameron, are you out
there?), I can attest to the fact that haggis CAN in fact be eaten. Not
that most people, including myself, CHOOSE to do so... but then, I've
always regarded haggis as the culinary fallout from having sold the rest of
the sheep to Sassenachs (the folks on the wrong- southern- side of
Hadrian's Wall) at inflated prices.

I've also long held the suspicion that the parallel development of haggis
and Scotch whisky cannot be a coincidence... if you have to eat haggis,
you're going to need something a little stronger than beer to help it down.

As to whether it's offensive and insulting to teach the English how to boil
water- maybe if somebody had taught them to do something OTHER than boil
water, there'd be a lot less to object to in English cooking.

Jonathan

Jonathan Smillie
Installation & Training Team Manager
ProTix, Inc.