[CH] Jalapenos of two pungencies, reply

James Campbell (camkeep@bright.net)
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:20:55 -0500

Hello All.

I'm a new subscriber, so don't know if you have already discussed such
things as books about peppers.  I've recently read 'Peppers: a Story of Hot
Pursuits' by Amal Raj, Knopf, NY, 1992, and found it very informative as
well as quite entertaining.  I particularly enjoyed his discussion of the
'pepper high' and the addictive potential of peppers.  I know I'm hooked.

Palo, I believe it was in this book that I read about two levels of
Jalapeno, the original hotter version and a hybrid (not a true Jalapeno)
that is milder and of a more uniform hotness.  I think the book said that
this milder version is the one most often found pickled in rings and served
in restaurants as a Jalapeno.

Regards, Jim Campbell