Re: [CH] Habs in Honey

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 05:39:33 -0800

Kristofer Blennow wrote:

> On 13 Nov 98, Valerie wrote:
>
> > When preserving your habs in honey, is refrigeration required? Seems
> > to me I read something on the list awhile back about nasty spores of
> > some type would grow
>
> As I have understood, only infants are sensible to the butulinum
> spores that can be present in honey. Don't feed honey to your
> babies...  I guess they would not like the habs anyways...  ;)

The discussion of "habs in honey" and "chiles in oil" comes up
once in awhile on the CH mailing list.  As I see it, the problem
with "Habs in Honey" stored at room temperature would be the
possibility (more likely the probability) of bacterial spores
present on the chiles.  Also, there is the problem of introducing
a cozy growth medium to spores possibly present in the honey by
adding even squeaky clean, spore-free chiles.

Moist, room temperature, anaerobic...?  Sounds like a perfect
environment for the reproduction of Clostridium botulinum to me.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://members.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/