Re: [CH] Peruvian recipe question re huacatay

SN Janin (snjanin@anguillanet.com)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:51:52 -0400

> Brent Thompson wrote:

> Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:28:33 -0800
> From: Brent Thompson <brent@hplbct.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: [CH] Peruvian recipe question re huacatay
>
> Does anybody on the list have any recipes using huacatay?

Here are the recipes I have.  They are from Comidas criollas peruanas (Peruvian
Creole Food Cookbook).  These are the translations in the cookbook (it is in
Spanish and English):

HOT SAVORY SAUCE FOR POTATOES  (SALSA PICANTE PARA PAPAS)

INGREDIENTS:

   1 Hot red pepper
 3 Dried mirasol chilis
 3 Sprigs of huacatay
 1 Small onion
 1 Bitter orange or a lemon
150 Grams of fresh cheese
  Salt

Soak the seeded chilis in salted water for 24 hours, changing the water twice. Chop
the onion very fine, wash in hot water and put it to pickle in the juice of the
orange with a little salt for an hour. Cut the pepper in half, seed, scrape and
afterwards grind up with the chili that has been soaked and strained, the similarly
treated huacatay and the fresh cheese. After mixing everything together well, add
the pickled onion, some salt if required, and serve over potatoes boiled in salted
water or in clear soup (caldo).

HUACATAY SAUCE (SALSA DE HUACATAY)

INGREDIENTS:

  Fresh chili mirasol
  Huacatay
  Salt, vinegar and oil

 Grate the chili with a few of the well washed huacatay leaves, adding a little
salt. Put this onto a plate and soften it with a little oil and vinegar. For meat,
potatoes or fish.

LLANTAN (SALSA AREQUIPENA)

INGREDIENTS:

 200 Grams of fresh yellow chili
  30  Grams of garlic without skin
   1   Large onion
3   Leaves of Huacatay
20 Grams of grated Parmesan cheese
4   Slices of bread
     Salt to taste

Cut the chilis in half, seed them and put them in a vessel in a hot oven together
with the garlic and the onion cut up into strips. Leave in the oven until browned
and cooked. Put the bread to soak in a little water; the slices should be a
centimeter and a half in thickness; when well soaked, drain off the water.

When the food in the oven is well cooked, take it out and grind in a
mincing-machine with the huacatay; lastly grind the bread so that it attracts all
the chili. Afterwards put everything in a liquefier and operate it at a slow speed,
later adding salt to taste and the cheese. When everything is well mixed and like a
smooth paste, the sauce is ready.

This sauce is typical of Arequipa and is served with boiled potatoes or yuccas,
meat, fish, or any boiled dish. It is also put on the.table like chili pepper.

HUACATAY CHILI (AJI DE HUACATAY)

INGREDIENTS:

  125    Grams of mirasol chili
    1   Medium sprig of huacatay
     Some leaves of saltwort (paico)
     Salt to taste
                 Oil

Roast the mirasol chili whole, cut in half and remove the pips and fibers; wash and
grind with the well-washed huacatay leaves and saltwort until a smooth paste
results. Season with salt and a little oil and beat well. The sauce is then ready
to serve-with potatoes, maize ears or boiled meat. It may also be used with hot
fried "cuyes" (a small animal like a guinea-pig).