Re: [CH] RE:botulism....again

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:44:44 +0100

On 18 Nov 98, Charles Dayharsh wrote:

> If commercial oils use preservatives, why is there a problem adding garlic
> and peppers to them?  Don't the preservatives work on the garlic and
> peppers as well as the oil?

If you buy unspiced oils, normally there are no preservatives added.
Pure oils degrade only slowly by oxidation.

If you want to put preservatives in some spiced oil yourself, I would
guess that the largest problem would be to find some oil soluble
preservative at all. Not that I am at all sure, but the usual food
preservatives that you can buy, like potassium sorbate, sodium
benzoate etc... aren't they just water soluble?

Kristofer