[CH] Chipotles

Kit Anderson (kitridge@bigfoot.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:16:51 -0800

Ginny Short wrote:
> > For popcorn, I steep chipotles in peanut oil on low for an
>
> Is it possible you could describe a chipotle to me. Also would
> another hot pepper be used in the oil with about the same results.
> BTW is the popcorn mild, or fiercy hot.  Or is it the longer you
> steep the hotter the popcorn?

It is possible. Red ripe jalapeņos (real ones, not the mild TAMs) are
cold smoked with mesquite for 3 days until dried. So you get smoke and
fire. They can be rehydrated like other dried chiles in hot water or
canned in adobo or pickled.

Dried, they can be added whole to soups and stews or ground and used
just like any other ground chile. Canned in adobo, they can be rinsed
and used like a rehydrated chile or just wix up the whole can in a food
processor to spoon the mixture into recipes. Try adding some to pureed
sweet potatoes. They also make the best BBQ sauce.

One chipotle in popcorn oil is noticeable. 4 is wicked hot.

They can be expensive if purchased in small amounts but I have bought
them from Nathan at http://www.chesapeakeheat.com for $11/lbs. 1 lbs is
a lot of chipotles. About 1 year for me.
--
St. Kit