Re: [CH] cilantro

Tony Lima (TonyLima@ms.spacebbs.com)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:20:44 GMT

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:03:04 -0800, Buffalo Sue
<bflosue@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> explain to me why fresh cilantro tastes lovely to some people and to
>> others (like me) is exactly as nauseating as taking a honkin' big bite
>> out of a bar of soap?
>
>I also think it's very interesting that so many people have such a
>extreme difference in perception.  Those that dislike it, almost
>always seem to compare it to soap.
>
>For those who do like it, what would you compare the taste to?  I
>personally think it has a lemony, citrusy taste, which I really like.

By my count, this is the third time this topic has been
discussed on this list.  Interested parties may want to
check out the archives for more information.  If memory
serves (as it does occasionally these days), there is
actually a genetic difference between people that causes
some to taste the "soap" in cilantro.  The other group
misses this taste entirely.  HTH. - Tony