Re: [CH] Why not Usenet?

Charles Demas (demas@tiac.net)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 02:47:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Mike Benson wrote:

> I'm fairly new to the list, and I'm wondering why the Chile Heads don't use a
> Usenet (newsgroup) instead of all this email.
> I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but since I've only recently
> joined the list, I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this.
> Personally, Id rather see this type of discussion on Usenet.

Because usenet gets spammed more than a mailing list for one, and because
this list allows you to get a digest, with all the posts of the day.

Those are two reasons, the third is that mailing lists get fewer newbies
just dropping in, asking some question, and then leaving, although we did
have one recent visitor that thought this list was about a South
American country.  :-)

Mailing lists are also much more immediate than newsgroups (depending
on the newsgroup's propagation), and the addresses of people posting are
not subject to address harvesting by spammers.

So, there you have it, everything you wanted to know about mailing lists,
but without the knuckle dragging parts (ask someone else to explain that
one to you).

BTW, where has Rael gone off to???

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas