Re: [CH] perennials????

Mike Benson (mbens@execpc.com)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 02:12:18 -0600

All chile peppers are perennials, but I doubt if any could survive a zone 5
winter.  My guess is that they would need a zone 9 or warmer climate in
order to survive the winter.  The exception *might* be something indigenous
to a mountainous climate (Ecuador or Brazil?).  Anyway, it has nothing
to do with whether or not the chiles are ornamental or not.  Ornamentals
are breed for color, foliage, size, etc., but not for hardiness.  Many
varieties of chiles will stay alive if brought indoors (in pots) for the winter
and put in a well lit area.  I'm trying this with a couple plants from my
garden
this winter.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Campbell <camkeep@bright.net>
To: Chile-Heads <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 25, 1998 10:10 PM
Subject: [CH] perennials????

Greetings

Some years ago, a couple of friends in FL grew some perennial peppers (4'
bushes, tiny pale purple, white, yellow, mottled peppers) that I thought
were strictly ornamental, until Andy made barbecue sauce with the evil
things and used it on ribs.  Until then I hadn't known what they meant when
they said the peppers would make a mockingbird fly backward (I was so young
and naive then).  Now the question: are there any perennials available that
will survive outside in the zone 5 winters of north central OH?  Or if
potted, partially protected, in an unheated greenhouse, perhaps?  Sources?

Thanks, JC                       James Malcolm Campbell, Campbell Keep,
Bucyrus, OH, USA