RE: [CH] Chile Birds

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 23:09:53 RSA-2

>Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:51:09 +1100
>From: MOORE John <MOOREJ@atea.mat.army.defence.gov.au>
>Subject: RE: [CH] Chile Birds

>> So how many "wild" varieties do you grow, which is more to the
>> point.  Please name a wild variety that does not have erect
>> fruit.

> C. cardenasii, for one.  Tiny, extremely hot and pendant
> fruit.

John I checked the USDA data base and they only have two
specimens of C. cardenasii. PI573336 and PI590507.
Unfortunately fruit position is not entered but DeWitt, Bosland
- Peppers of the World shows a picture of PI573336 - C.
cardenasii.  The fruit most certainly is erect.  Therefore C.
cardenasii does have a wild erect form.

The seed distribution channel for wild species and varieties is
birds.  Fruit hiding under leaves will not attract the means of
propagation and would probably indicate a cultivated variety.

Some of the indicators for a wild species or variety is erect
fruit position and fruit that is easily separated from the
plant.

Brent please feel free to jump in here anytime and correct and/or
expand on this thread.

Looking forward to the harvest

Peter