Re: [CH] Pittsburgh Heat

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 23:13:46 -0500

At 07:03 PM 11/25/98 -0600, Coyote Moon wrote:
>Mark,
>
>Our favorite is El Campesino in the Jonnet Plaza in Monroeville (just off
>the Monroeville exit of the PA turnpike).  Make sure you ask for the
>tomatillo sauce - it's the hot one!

Well, went to El Campesino tonight!  It's an unimpressive view from the
road, just a storefront place in a stripmall.  Once you get in and are
seated it still seems rather conventional, though the chips are unusually
light and the salsa has a nice consistancy.  The fact that there are also
bottles of El Yucateco Red and Green on the table certainly does not
detract from the chilehead in me!

As an appetizer I ask for a serving of sliced pickled jalepenos and we
order a Chile con Queso dip mixed with choriso sausage which goes really
well with the chips and salsa.  Margot of Coyote Moon sugested the
tomatillo sauce, but it could not be found on the menu.  On enquiring, we
were told: "Well, it's not on the menu..."

Well, go figure.  It beat the regular salsa hands down, and was a welcome
accompaniment to not only the chips, salsa and con queso with choriso and
jalepenos, but was great on the tacos, rice, and anything else!

The only dissapointments were the chiles rellenos and the chalupas.  The
rellenos were made from a regular bell pepper, and the chalupas were just a
soggy tortilla with some lettuce and tomato and a little cheese.  Though
even these were redeemed by liberal use of the tomatillo salsa and El
Yucateco...

The burritos, enchiladas, tacos and chalupas were great, as well as all the
sauces and other accompaniments.  I would have liked to try their fajitas,
guacamole and other stuff but could only order so much!

To add to this is the fact that the bill came out to about $10 per person,
which included the extra cheese & choriso dip and jalapeno sides as well as
rice and such, and the fact that they gave me one of their color laminated
menus on request
(to be added to my online collection when I get hold of a scanner)... Yessss!

Would have liked to have met Margot and Friends from Coyote Moon but this
was on extremely short notice, and we were not able to make a mini Hotluck,
but maybe over the Xmas holidays?

Well, keep on flamin'!

=Mark in P-Burgh...