Re: [CH] Now don't laugh......

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@protix.com)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:43:18 -0600

At 09:06 PM 12/12/98 -0500, Suzanne wrote:
>I have heard using potatoes for absorbing salt, but never heat.  Remember
>not to eat the taters...if they are salty that is.  If they really do take
>out heat they might just end up quite tasty!

Actually, it has been my experience that potatoes (or other starches, e.g.
rice) do "soak up" some heat when incorporated into  spicy dishes; that's
why, any time I make a dish using both chiles and potatoes (like soup or
stew), I always add the chiles after the potatoes; likewise, don't finish
spicing your chili until AFTER the beans are in (apologies to the
Texas-chili contingent, to whom I know such things are anathema...)

Jonathan

Jonathan Smillie
Installation & Training Team Manager
ProTix, Inc.