Re: [CH] Venison...

The Adair's (adair@onyx.digisys.net)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:13:05 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:43:17 -0800
> From:          "Scott Northup" <northups@ohsu.edu>
> To:            Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
> Subject:       [CH] Venison...

> Another nice side effect of Reindeer and Elk meat (and especially Moose too..) is the pleasant,
> highly enriched flatulence. Nothin' like 3-4 bowls of venison chile
>and retiring under the covers with........

I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought this up.
Never had Reindeer but have eaten lots of Whitetails, Mulies,
Antelope, Elk and Moose.  For my family, every fall when we start
eating game meat there is a veritable explosion of flatulence.  My
house becomes a "no open flame zone" (appropriate placards placed
at all entrances).  After awhile it goes away.  Switching back to
beef causes the exact same thing.

I personally love to use my favorite spicy dry rub on a game steak
and cook it in the Weber with a few chunks of Alder wood to give it a
smoke flavor.  For other tougher cuts The crock pot and your favorite
chili recipe are a good bet.  The slow cooking of the crock pot will
tenderize even the rankest old buck and take away a great deal of
that "gamey" taste.  Venison in chili is absolutely guaranteed to
impress the uninitiated.  In fact, if there's someone you need to get
even with, invite them over for dinner on a Saturday night, church on
Sunday will be an event to be remembered.

Tim