Re: [CH] Hot & Sour Soup

Dan deForest (deforest@selec.net)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:38:55 -0600

Great descriptions, Chuck!  I now have the image I need to look for
golden needles again. I'm pretty sure this must be the missing component
in my soup. Thanks for the tips.

FWIW, when I made mine I didn't have pork stock that the recipe called
for.  I improvised like Andy B does.  I used half chicken and half beef
canned stock that I reduced somewhat (used the low sodium kind).  I also
quickly browned the pork tenderloin strips (that had been marinating in
cornstarch, sesame oil and soy sauce) in the wok with some peanut oil
and a dash of mushroom soy (Pearl River Bridge brand is best IMO) to get
nice browned edges but still tender strips.  When I added it to the
stock reduction it made a nice rich soup base that seemed like a pretty
good faux pork stock, too.

The first day I used just the sambal-badjak (chile paste oil) the recipe
called for.  I really preferred the extra flavor the hab gave it the
next day.  Guess I'll have to make another batch with all the necessary
ingredients soon.

Deb in Houston

(snip)