Re: [CH] Taste Buds - Comments

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:53:57 +0100

Dave Sacerdote wrote:

> My feelings exactly.  I consider "heat" to be a basic flavor, like
> "sweet", "bitter", or "salt".

Ack! *pounding forehead against the keyboard*

How stupid of me... OF COURSE it affects the toungue, not the nose.
CHANGE the school books, there are FIVE tastes; salt, sour, bitter,
sweet and hot.

John "ChefChile" Whalen wrote:

> Tabasco is mild compared to many others so feel free to pour it
> on, but I urge you to explore the world of sauces that awaits
> you.

Well, most unfortunately, most of the sauces that are referred to on
this list are not available here in Sweden. The "Clic" hab sauce i
found was excellent. Of course I could order from all the internet
sites, but it will be expensive to get it over here.

Would anyone want to buy an assortment of your favourite sauces an
send a package to me? I would of course prepay it all in cash,
including the mail costs.

> As far as boring restaurant lunches, I assume you are indicating
> your dislike of the fast food versions, because if you are dining
> in a restaurant with boring meals then you need to change
> restaurants.

Naaww... not really... we have good non fast food restaurants, but
sometimes you go to your standard place and the days menu is only
soso... that is when it is time to heat everything up a bit.
Fortunately they have a nice collection, an excellent
ginger/chile/garlic sauce is my current choice. Very nice high and
hot flavour, very rich and complex.

> My sense of smell is also working overtime trying to discern the
> various perfumes the women around me wear ... and they don't seem
> to mind if I walk up to them and sniff (no knuckle dragging
> please).  They actually are happy to see that someone has noticed
> them.

My favourite pastime...   ;)

Nels Peterson wrote:

> Yeah - chiles don't belong in everything. Can you imagine lutefisk
> with hab sauce (hmm - not bad idea!)

Hmmm... Only way that "food" could be eaten, I guess...  Can't stand
that bland flavour.

Thanks all,
Kristofer