[CH] Re: Bangkok

JYANDERS@aol.com
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 16:02:59 EST

J Young wrote:

>It's a long shot, but I'll be going to Thailand next week and I wonder if
>any chili heads have restaurant recommendations. I've been looking at the
>usual travel guides, but they don't seem particularly geared towards food.
>The guy that wrote the most about food spent altogether too much time
>going over how to tell them to make it mild and complaining about how it
>was hot anyway.  I don't trust him at all.  I'm more worried that they'll
>look at my big white ass and make it too mild.

>Anyway, I'll be in Bangkok, Surat Thani (yes, where the plane crashed) and
>Ko Samui, so if anyone had a great (or bad, so I can avoid it) restaurant
>experience there, please let me know.

I spent some time in Phuket a couple of years ago and found that there are
many small "mom and pop" type restaurants that are very good. I ate in several
open air establishments with no regrets or problems. (It may have helped that
we met several locals who ordered for us.) Every place I ate at had bowls of
chiles the size of peas that were extremely hot on the tables. The seafood was
fantastic and cheap. You could literally select you prawns, lobster, crab,
fish, etc. from a vast selection and tell them how to prepare it. This was at
Phuket Seafood, but I'm sure that there are similar restaurants, Especially on
Ko Samui, just across the peninsula.

One place I have heard about on Ko Samui, but cannot vouch for, is Samui Air.
It supposedly has good curry.

Anyway, Thailand is a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you
manage to get some seeds from the chiles I described above, I'd be interested
in an exchange.

John - Phoenix