RE: [CH] Bangkok

Kath Hodgson (kath@kandk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:38:25 -0000

Hi,

I spent time in both Thailand and Koh Samui last year and never
encountered anything 'too' hot. Bangkok street food is good and
entertaining (if you like grasshoppers !) but good restaurants include
the Oriental Hotel (if you've got an unlimited budget !), the Spice
Market at the Regent Hotel, the restaurant opposite 'Rome Club' in Silom
Soi 4 and another (can't remember the name) in Convent Road, just past
Delaney's Irish bar. My brother lives in Bangkok and suggests just
experimenting - they just turn up anywhere, take pot-luck and are rarely
disappointed.

 Koh Samui is different - caters very much for tourists unless you get
off the beaten track - if you like fish you'll be laughing - just go
with the stuff that looks fresh.

Have fun,

Kath

-----Original Message-----
From: J Young [mailto:machismo@u.washington.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 1998 3:49 PM
Cc: Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] Bangkok

It's a long shot, but I'll be going to Thailand next week and I wonder
if
any chili heads have restaurant recomendations. I've been looking at the
usual travel guides, but they don't seem particularly geared towards
food.
The guy that wrote the most about food spent altogether too much time
going over how to tell them to make it mild and complaining about how it
was hot anyway.  I don't trust him at all.  I'm more worried that
they'll
look at my big white ass and make it too mild.

Anyway, I'll be in Bangkok, Surat Thani (yes, where the plane crashed)
and
Ko Samui, so if anyone had a great (or bad, so I can avoid it)
restaurant
experience there, please let me know.

Shamus

machismo@u.washington.edu

"I think there must exist a special subversive group of pseudo-cupids--
plump hairless little devils whom Satan commissions to make disgusting
mischief in sacrosanct places."
	--Vladimir Nabokov, _Pale Fire_