Re: [CH] Europe recommendations

Wolfgang Deimel (deimel@mabi.de)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:49:51 +0100

This is a little late as a response, but actually I tried to send it and it
bounced, then I tried to re-subscribe as advised but this machine just
wouldn't let me in...

On 22 Dec 98, at 15:50, Parkhurst, Scott Contractor wrote:

> I agree with the response that said there is something for virtually any
> taste in Germany.  I found the Italian restuarants much better than
> anything in the states, and every Greek place was fantastic, (free shot
> of ouzo to stimulate the digestive juices didn't hurt).

I didn't check Italian restaurants in the states when I was there because
there are lots of them here, so I don't know if ours are better. In
general my impression is that restaurants in the US cover all cuisines you
can think of and there's little to nothing new to discover in Germany,
unless you're looking for original German dishes.

Also, we're a true chile diaspora, the so-called Mexican restaurants here
almost always offer nothing but really BAD tex-mex food. You'll find hot
food in Indian and Thai restaurants. But since Germans aren't used to eat
hot food, be sure to instruct the waiter to make it really hot. Well,
maybe one thing new to you folks is Turkish cuisine, there's lots and lots
of Turkish places here that offer good and low-priced dishes, and usually
the fast food variant "Döner Kebab" you can get almost everywhere is very
good too. BTW, this is almost unknown in Turkey since it was made famous
by Turks living in Germany.

So, to sum it up, if you go to Germany you'll surely dig all the wonderful
sight-seeing places, like there's an awful lot of really old stuff here,
but don't expect to make awesome discoveries food-wise...

Wolfgang.