Re: [CH] Fermented Mash Sauce Questions

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:27:35 +0100

Mark,

I spent the past months researching this subject. I haven't really
been ready to publish it all on the web, but I will "in due
course"...   ;)

On 5 Jan 99, Mark Ellis wrote:

> 1. How long should I ferment it out for , has now been going for six
> months? 2. How do I best process it all - strain, puree etc??

I am not sure of either of these questions. If the lactic acid
bacteria (LAB) fermentation started early and healthy, it would have
been enough with say 14 days....  down to a pH of about 4.5. I am
sure that L Plantarum would survive and continue fermentation long
after that, but it would be more a question of taste than of
preservation.

In lack of natural LAB I have used fermenting Korean "kimchi" as a
starter culture for pepper fermentation. I suppose your mash does not
"bubble" anymore?

> 3. F.Y.I.
> the mix is about 15 litres of cayenne types wizzed in the food processor
> and then adjusted to 20% salt with a few cups of vinegar every couple of
> months to beat the furry buggers growing on the top.

20% salt with vinegar? Hmmm... not sure what you mean by that. For
fermentation usually 2-3% salt content is required to select the
bacteria wanted. Lowering the pH with vinegar will of course make
most LAB diminish and you will not have fermentation at all...
rather "ripening" with chemical processes.... like an old wine.

What do you mean by "furry buggers"? If that is mold, you should be
very careful with possible mycotoxins... Unless you are already in
the 80s and ready to die...   ;)

> Luckily I work for a Pathology company that also does a lot of food
> analysis so I can send a sample off for bugs!!

Yes, without that I would not even taste your soup... it seems kinda
risky to me...

> "If it is worth doing, it is worth doing to excess"

So let me have a few more shots of "Fireman's Bitter" ...   ;)

Kristofer

Kristofer Blennow     Email:  kristofer@blennow.se
Rubinstigen 41        WWW:    http://www.blennow.se/
196 33 Kungsängen     Phone:  +46 8 58175536
Sweden                Mobile: +46 708 375536