Re: [CH] Fermented Mash Sauce Questions

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:15:07 -0600

Hi C-H's,

On 7 Jan 99, Mark Ellis wrote:
>I am beginning to wonder if it really IS mold.
>...  In fermentation of strong wines, you sometimes get
>what in Spanish is called "flor". That is the wine yeast floating up
>on the surface to get air to be able to multiply in the strong
>alcohol. Now if, as Cameron suggests, this strong salt fermentation
>really is some sort of yeast thing, or some very unusual bacteria,
>maybe that is what you are getting. And in that case it should be
>harmless.

Interesting idea.

>Well, just babbling here. We really have to find out what kind of
>organisms we are dealing with here.

I have the perfect tool for identifying this beast - an environmental
scanning electron microscope (ESEM). I will have it running soon. Would
your guys like pictures?

You can find a description of it in the SEM section at this URL:
                                               Regards,
Cameron a.k.a. Begg.4@osu.edu  Phones:  (614)292 4429 - Office
Campus Electron Optics Facility                      (614)688 3387 - Lab.
                          http://www.ceof.ohio-state.edu/