[CH] Kauaii Food

Mark Ellis (mellis@gribbles.com.au)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:36:31 +1100

Doug I hate you!!!!!!

I was at the very same spot at the end of November for my honeymoon, even
played pool in the billiard hall, went into the souveneir shop and all, but
alas no pepper bush lit up my eyes (pathetic weeping sounds being made now).

Aside from that, food wise there was a pretty respectable Mexican place in
Kapaa where we were staying called   La Amigos or something like that ( the
only one in Kapaa anyway - just near Pizza Hut/Safeway I think)   , also
although not on the hot side of things you have got to go the Whalers Brew
Pub at Lihue, down the back of the Marriott Complex. Sit out on the patio on
the edge of a cliff watching hilarious golfers chip balls over a 80 foot
drop, whilst enjoying their classy beers and really good food.

Kauaii really is beautiful. Simple place, simple lifestyle. There is a lot
of people there who really know how to LIVE!

Later All

Mark Ellis
Melbourne, Australia

=========reply to==================

Date: Wed, 06 Jan 99 09:58:24
From: dlaw@andros.com
Subject: [CH] Kauai Restraunts and Peppa's

Hi Mike,

Enjoy your time in the Islands.  I just got back from 2 relaxing weeks on
Kauai.

I can't speak to the Big Island, but on Kauai try Mema's.  Thai cusine
available in 4 different intensity levels; mild, medium, hot, and Thai hot.
I had a Rendang (?SP?) pork curry done medium (no other CH's at the table)
and it was divine.  They are located in the Kinipopo Shopping center just
south of the Coconut Plantation on HI 56.

If you get a chance, head down to Nawiliwili (SE corner of the Island) and
look for Garden Island Billiards.  At the corner of the building next to a
soveigner shop, there is what was called a "hawa'i peppa".  The bush looks
to be at least 3-4 years old (3" diameter stalk, 6' high and pruned).  The
peppers have an upright growing position, were roughly conical, 0.5 - 1.5"
in length and approximately .25" in diameter.  They varied in color from
yellowish green to lemon yellow to red-orange.  Does anybody have any idea
what sort of pepper they are?  the flavor of one of the redorange ones was
about 2 times your average store bought serano on the hot scale with almost
no flavor of it's own.  I had a bag full of ripe chile's that the lady
running the shop let me pick, but I made the mistake (?) of being a law
abiding citizen.  When the Ag inspectors asked about fresh produce I
brought out my bag of fresh chiles and they made me leave them behind.

Have fun and

Eat hot.
Think hot.
Love hot.