Re: [CH] Fermented Mash Sauce Questions

Steve (snearman@erols.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:32:57 -0500

What I have is a little different then you describe. The white stuff is not
raised more like a flat slime (not popcorn shaped and not furry). Covers
only about 1/3 of the top surface of the mash and only penetrates a 1/16
inch or so. It is stored in a dark (some times the door is left open)
cupboard at room temp.

Opened it up today and it had a slight fermenting smell like rotting
tomatoes. Added a little water (surface looked a little dry but the white
stuff looked wet and shinny), shook to mix everything and put the lid back
on (not tight to allow for gas release). Tasted a small drop on the tip of
my finger, good flavor, definitely hot (Red Savina Habs) and very salty. If
I don't drop dead or get ill, I will taste it again in a few months.

Steve

>He mentioned "Candida" as the yeast genus responsible. Any ideas George?
>I've not researched this yet. He also said that the target NaCl
>concentration is 17% by weight of the peppers, and that mine at 18% should
>be fine.
>

>Steve wrote:
>>I have a hale gallon jar of hab mash (freminting?) which had grown some
>>white stuff on top surface only after about a week. I scraped it all off,
>>added more salt and heated it to kill any bad guys. The salt contration is
>>more than 20%. I added no water to the mash just salt. The white stuff came
>>back in a few days. There has been no noticable fizzing of bubbles
>>gererated science August when I started it. Should'nt there be noticable
>>gas release during the fermation process?
>
>I hope the above helps. It looks like you are doing fine Steve. Remember if
>anyone else tries this to use pickling salt or rock salt and not the stuff
>they sell for table use. Do it in the dark at room temperature. The
>conversion process is very slow and you may not see gas evolution.
>                     Regards,               Cameron.

      Uncle Steve's Hot Stuff  Check our new web site!
    http://www.zyworld.com/snearman/Uncle-Steve-Home.htm