Re: [CH] Fermented Mash Sauce Questions

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:06:45 -0600

Hi C-H's,
Mark Ellis wrote:
>He said the important thing to consider is that as long as they weren't heat
>treated or washed heavily with any chemical, you would gain a great number
>of naturally occurring yeast of differing species that reside on the skin,
>like is seen with grapes.

Correct. My mash was made "straight from the garden".

>He also said that we only really need to worry about listeria which
>apparently can adapt to almost any environment.

That's good news, and one reason for using extreme environments.

>of the yeasts, we would almost certainly be dealing with varieties of
>Candida and perhaps even obscure strains of sacchoromyces(sp).

Saccharomyces sp. will not tolerate salt concentrations in the 15-20% range
as far as I am aware.

>All in all, basically he said we need to all run different mashing protocols
>and ferment out to the level that we seek, then take a sample to you local
>path lab for analysis to see what bacteria/mold/yeast exist happily in that
>instance.

I think I am confident enough to go ahead with it the way it is. It worked
OK last year, and I'm not quite dead yet!

>Oh, he also said we would be better off doing a lactic acid ferment as far
>as fermentation efficiency goes?

I am sure he is correct as far as speed is concerned, but what about flavor?

Thanks for the info.
                     Regards,               Cameron.