Re:[CH] bees

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:43:20 RSA-2

>Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:02:48 +0000
>From: "Celeste or Dave Anderson"
> <Gtoughchile@mail.greatbasin.net>
>Subject: Re:[CH] bees

Thanks to all for the replys.  It still leaves the question
unanswered. ;-)  Do ants play a part in pollination of chiles?

> If you have ants crawling on your chiles, chances are that
> you have aphids. Ants actually move aphids from plant to plant
> because they collect the secretions or "honeydew"

Yep Dave I see these six legged cattle ranchers all the time.
Which is why I note what they are doing.  It is when I see ants
standing around I get worried because they are guarding
something.  Usually aphids.

Just to be sure I went out this evening and checked any plant I
could see ants on and did not find any aphids.  On a couple of
plants I really looked carefully and having had these pests
before I know what I am looking for and did not waste time
looking on top of the leaves. ;-)

Not that there are not any which I would be naive to believe but
none were visible at the time.

> If your killer bees are wasps, they are great aphid predators,
> but they are not quite as friendly as lace wings or ladybird
> beetles.

Nope bees, smaller cousin to your european bee.  Much hyped by
the media and hollyweird.  Hence the name killer bee instead of
African bee.  We also have a lot of wasps as well both mud and
paper.  They do a grand job on the bigger stuff like
caterpillars.

> If you want to divert aphids from your chiles, try planting
> sunflowers nearby. Aphids seem to prefer them.

Trying to find more space for chiles ;-)

Peter
-- Peter Moss

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'". - Bruce Perens