RE: [CH] Carne Adovada

Garry Howard (garry@netrelief.com)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:49:10 -0500

This is a very authentic New Mexican carne adovado. La Tertulia in Santa Fe
is one of my favorite restaurants. Their adovado is terrific. Do you have a
source for the chiles over there? The note in the recipe isn't mine but it
is accurate regarding the fieryness of this dish.

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                       Carne Adovada - La Tertulia

Recipe By     : La Tertulia, Santa Fe, NM
Categories    : Beef, Lamb & Veal                Mexican & Southwestern
                Want To Try

  10      pounds        pork shoulder meat -- cut into 1" cubes
  14      large         dried red chilies
   2      teaspoons     garlic powder
   1 1/2  teaspoons     dried oregano
   2      teaspoons     cumin
   2      teaspoons     salt
     1/2  cup           flour
   2      tablespoons   oregano
   2      tablespoons   garlic powder
   1 1/2  tablespoons   salt

Place the meat in a large pot with 1/2 cup water and cook, uncovered, for 2
hours over low heat, stirring occasionally and adding water if the meat is
sticking.

To make sauce, stem, seed and rinse the chilies, then place them in a pan
with
water to cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, until tender, about 15
minutes; remove from heat. Drain, reserving the chile juice. Puree the
chilies
in a blender or food processor with 2 cups of the reserved chile juice and
garlic powder, oregano, cumin and salt. Strain and set aside.

Drain any excess water from the pan in which you have cooked the meat, then
sprinkle the flour over the meat, tossing to coat evenly. Cook about 10
minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionlally; add oregano, garlic
powder,
salt, and chile sauce. Add 1 1/2 cups water and simmer 30 minutes.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

NOTE: I had this dish a few years ago and loved it. However, it was so hot
that my mouth burned for hours afterwards. Adjust this dish to suit your
tastes. The house version was fiery.

Garry Howard - Cambridge, MA
garry@netrelief.com
Garry's Home Cooking