Re: [CH] Carne Adovada

Buffalo Sue (bflosue@earthlink.net)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:31:38 -0600

T wrote:

> Where do you live that you worry about getting food poisoning from raw meat?

In the US, there have been many illnesses and some deaths
from contaminated foods - mostly processed meats.  Lately,
it seems like there are news stories of recalls due to
contamination almost weekly.  I think we eat too many
processed foods, and much of the contamination is happening
in the processing plants.

Stores are required to put "safe handling" stickers on all
raw meat packages, and some restaurants now even refuse to
serve rare hamburgers.  And makers of anti-bacterial soaps
and cleaners play this up in their advertising.

I still eat very rare beef, but I am careful about cleaning
up cutting boards, counters, knives, etc when cooking meat.

Luckily, I rarely get ill, even when everyone else at the
office is passing around colds or the flu.  I guess the mass
quantities of chiles and garlic I usually consume (and a few
beers don't hurt) are enough to scare away those nasty bugs.

--

Buffalo Sue

"Mild is a four-letter word..."