Re: [CH] Thai Hot chillies

W.A. Sawford (was1000@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:26:41 +0000 (BST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Andrew Healy wrote:

> Cut open a Thai Hot, from Sainsbury's, the other day and a heap of seeds
> fell out.  I knew that such peppers are normally gamma ray treated, for
> sterility, to avoid growth, but, planted a few dozen anyway.  Looked this
> AM and some [not all] have sprouted, against all odds.  Any idea as to how
> high this pepper grows to ?

I grew some thai chiles from Tesco's a couple of years ago.  I don't know
how high they would grow in warmer climes, but they did quite well in pots
and grew to @ 18 inches or so.  It's interesting you say that supermarket
chiles are treated in this way, because I've never had any problem
sprouting whatever I fancy, and I find it a cheap & convenient way to grow
chiles, although of course you are limited on variety.

Wendy