Re: [CH] Hot Chinese Mustard

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 02:18:35 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Rain wrote:

> -> Dear Chile-Heads and Others  -  Question.  What spice ingredient is added
> -> to Chinese mustard to give it that "hot" taste?  Obviously it is not any
> -> form of red pepper, or else that would change the color of the yellow
> -> mustard.  Thanks for the information.  Robertino
> Nothing is added.  Some mustard seeds are hotter than others, that's
> all.

True, but I've found that mixing in a teaspoon of beer to the hot mustard
of a Chinese restaurant tends to heat it up.  Why, I don't know.  I think
the effect is temporary, btw.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas