Re: [CH] Making chipotles

Rich McCormack (macknet@cts.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:56:21 -0800

The Adair's wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I tried to make chipotles last week.  I got several pounds of what
> my produce guy assured me were red jalapenos and threw them
> in the smoker for about 12 hours.  The results didn't look anything
> like the dried chipotles that I'm used to buying.  They had a dark,
> smooth, shiny,  thin skin. ...

My best guess: what you smoked were probably ripe Fresno chiles.
About 2 to 3 inches long, tapering from an inch (or a bit more)
at the top to a pointy end, somewhat thin walled...?   Not quite
the same as jalapenos, but certainly acceptable when there's no
ripe jalapenos available from the garden and such aren't likely
to be found at the local grocery stores or farmer's markets...

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@cts.com

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...
http://members.cts.com/crash/m/macknet/