Re: [CH] OT: Chocolate

Art Pierce (pierces@cruzio.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:09:20 -0800

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:56:07 +1100
From: "J. B. Cattley" <jbc@mpx.com.au>
Subject: [CH] OT: Chocolate

I actually have a sinking feeling that I've asked this here before, but
if
so, well, I'm asking again.

I'm currently on the lookout for a source of decent unsweetened
chocolate.
(In Sydney, but mail order is cool.) They simply do not sell unsweetened

chocolate here at all. You can get 85% cocoa solids, but they just fill
up
on sugar to try and mask the <gasp> bitterness...

I actually have a year's supply of mole sauce in the freezer, so that's
my
last CH excuse, but as sworn enemies of culinary mediocrity, I beg your
aid.
Having tasted the real thing, how can I ever go back to that sweet, icky

stuff again?  Why do people add SUGAR, of all things?  It's even worse
than
adding it to coffee!

I have some rather terrible Nestle cooking chocolate, traded from
America
for about a kilo of (chocolate) truffles, does anyone out there know of
anything better? I noticed that Mohotta was selling mexican chocolate,
what's this like?

jbc

Mexican chocolate is medium grade chocolate with added cinnamon.

Chocolate FAQ is at:
http://www.choco.com/faq.html

COOK'S Illustrated (they will not take any advertising) did a blind
taste-off (nibbling v. desserts) of eleven bittersweet/semisweet in
their November/December 1994 issue, and,  in their September/October
1995 issue, of seven Dutch-processed (alkalai-processed for easier
dissolving, and for mellowing flavor and slightly darkening color) and
five natural cocoa powders, for brownies and for hot chocolate

Van Leer Bittersweet Chocolate #1121-115 (approx $4.00/lb) won the best
nibbling and dessert. Dutch-process cocoas took the first six places in
the hot chocolate tasting. Dutched Van Leer tied for first place in
brownies and was second in hot chocolate.

Callebaut Bittersweet (approx $9.00/lb) & Ghiradelli Semi-Sweet (approx
$6.40/lb) came in close behind, tied at second in the nibbling/dessert
group. Callebaut makes a whole lot of different Bittersweets, so this is
not enough info to get the best one(s).

Fourth in the nibbling/dessert group was Merckens Yucatan Classic Dark
(approx $4.20/lb).

Van Leer Bittersweet $4/# & Merckens Yucatan Dark $4.20/# were much
lower-priced.

The winner still has (most of) the articles at their website:
http://www.vanleerchocolate.com/cooks1.htm
http://www.vanleerchocolate.com/cooks2.htm

You might try emailing Van Leer & Merckens and see what they recommend
for the use(s) you intend.
V.P. Sales (Dairy)
Tad Van Leer
tvl@vanleerchocolate.com
V.P. Sales (Confection)
Peter Van Leer
pvl@vanleerchocolate.com
Both at USA  (800) 826-2462

Merckens Candy Co.
150 Oakland St.
Mansfield, MA 02048
(USA) 508-339-8921

More good cooking related literature listed at:
http://www.foodwine.com/food/egg/fdnews.html