Re: [CH] Mexican Oregano vs Med oregano

Michael Bailes (frgntgar@ozemail.com.au)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:29:56 +1100

At 12:23 AM -0500 11/2/99, Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:
>Coyote
>Howlin' for Habaneros
>
>Dear Coyote et all,
>
>Actually oregano is a flavor not an herb and includes thyme and salvia.
oregano is a famaily of herbs used mostly in cooking
>There is Mediterranean version and then there is the Greek version quite
>different in flavor and intensity!
thre are many different types some not botanically oreganos
>I think the common one is Origanum vulgare which is also called Wild Marjoram.
marjoram is aform of oregano botanically
>Then there is the Italian/Mediterranean Oregano  (Oregano Onites) and the
>Spanish Oregano  (Oregano Virens) and it has roundish apple green leaves.
>
>The one I am referring to is Origanum amaracus dictamnus (Crete Dittany) and
>it is very aromatic and delightful.  Also Origanum heraceoticum is a good
>Greek Oregano.  It's leaves are course, ovate, and hairy.  It is strong,
>earthy aroma and is by far the most flavorful.
>
>Sorry if this is more than you wanted to know.
>
>But IF you haven't grown the true Greek Oregano, please do and you won't be
>disappointed.
Some nurseries here grow a very substandard oregano grown from seed
greek oregano we grow from cuttings. It is probably best to taste before
you buy!

I am often confused by what people call "Mexican Oregano" - having never
been to mexico
we used to grow aflsehy herb called All-Purpose herb " or Cuban Oregano It
is very frost senssitive and we would often losse it over winter.
Botanically it was a coleus.

There is agood herb resource link on the web Maude Grive's "A Modern Herbal"
A bit dated in some ways but good for seaching info on herbs. There is
alink on the links page of my web site.

Michael Bailes.
The Fragrant Garden, Portsmouth Road, Erina. N.S.W. 2250 Australia. (OZ)
International fax 61 243 651979          Phone 61 243 677322
  	Web page at: http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/
Chilli Festival 1999
At TFG: 5, 6, 7 March  see  http://www.fragrantgarden.com.au/chillifestival/