RE: [CH] ostrich sausage

Bloechl, Sharen Rund (sharen.rund.bloechl@lmco.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 07:42:17 -0800

	From:  Charles Demas [SMTP:demas@sunspot.tiac.net]
	Sent:  Tuesday, February 23, 1999 2:21 PM
	To:  Chile-Heads Mailing List
	Subject:  Re: [CH] ostrich sausage

	On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 Shantihhh@aol.com wrote:

	> Ostrich Sausage
	>
	>      5 feet small hog casings
	>      4 pounds Ostrich meat
	>      2 tsp. salt
	>      1 tsp. freshly ground white pepper * plus cayenne or Hab
powder to kick
	>             it up a little
	>      1 tsp. celery seed
	>      1/2 tsp. powdered bay leaf
	>      2 tsp. lemon zest
	>      2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
	>      1/8 tsp. ground cloves
	>      1/4 cup wild turkey bourbon (optional)
	>
	> Prepare casings. Mix and grind the ingredients through fine disk
and
	> stuff into casings. Twist off into 3 inch links. Simmer or cook
	> by browning in vegetable oil.

	IIRC, Ostrich is a fairly lean (low fat) meat, and I worry that this
	recipe will not work out very well as sausage in the traditional
sense.

	Most sausages have a fairly high fat content that keeps them
somewhat
	tender when cooked.  These may turn very hard when cooked,
especially
	if over cooked.

	Just an opinion, from a person that has never made sausage, but has
	eaten too many.  These lowfat meats must not be over cooked from
what
	I've read.

	Chuck Demas
	Needham, Mass.

	  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
	  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
	  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
	  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas