Re: [CH] Ostrich Jerky

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:39:37 RSA-2

> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:34:27 -0800
> From: Brent Thompson <brent@hplbct.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: [CH] Ostrich Jerky

> I read a week or so ago that poultry jerky is rarely
> encountered because poultry contains fats which are relatively
> unsaturated, hence go rancid rapidly,.....

[snip]

> ... even great
> excess of chile in the jerky mix wouldn't help retard
> occurance of rancidity, and you'd have to consume that jerky
> quickly.

Ostrich sure makes a nice biltong.  I can't answer for the
northern habit of smothering the meat and "cooking" it first.
My first reaction is yuck but then the northern cousins may
think the same of biltong.

Biltong is basically sliced meat (tong).  This is covered with
a mixture of salt and spices.  Mainly coriander and pepper.
Chile heads add chile powder.  The meat is hung to dry in low
humidity or force dried with low heat (a light bulb or two) and
a fan in some container.  There is not much on the net but a
search will get some recipes.  Sorry I use no measures to make
mine in winter because the summer humidity is to high.

Treat Ostrich the same as a very good cut (steak) of lean beef
for cooking.  Over cooked is not nice. ;-)

Picking habs, scotch bonnets and rocotos.  Making sauces and
enjoying the bounty.  Praise be to the chile gods and those that
sent seeds.

Peter
-- Peter Moss

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you
don't want Linux'". - Bruce Perens