Re: [CH] Not thrilled with jalapenos-FAVOURITES??

coyote (coyote@calweb.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:18:08 -0800

Brent Thompson wrote:

> > I couldn't see making fajitas without a bunch of red bells fired up with
> > the onions..
>
> Try substituting the same amount, or anyway as much as you can stand, of
> coarsely sliced Aji Amarillo for the bells ...

Not sure I've ever had that chile. I grew a chile called Aji a few years ago..it
was the tallest chile plant in my garden. it turned yellow when mature and had a
taste similar to habs..it looked like a cayenne type but thicker walled and a bit
more curved. It was tasty, but I can't remember which variant of Aji it was.

Well I do the cooking and my SO and 2 of her 3 children can't take any heat ( I
mean 0). So I cook my fajitas with bells.. but i make my own on the side.. to suite
my tastes I cook them in chile oil and add chopped habs and serranos to the onions
and red/ yellow bells...
BTW I've also grown some fairly hot Mexican Bells. My dad (who isn't much on heat
either) once took a few from my garden and got a real surprise when he fried them
up. The bells I grew where almost as hot as jalapenos.. not hot by my standards,
but most of my family only like a small amount of heat in their food.

Coyote
Howlin' for Habaneros