Re: [CH] recipes

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:11:10 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Judy Howle wrote:

> I've been on this list since '95 and have never seen anyone complain before
> about too many recipes!  I thought that was the main purpose of the list.  I
> have posted quite a few myself and have received several private emails
> thanking me for them.  I for one liked and appreciated the recipes.

I though I was clear.  I have no objection to someone posting a recipe
that they have ACTUALLY TRIED and liked, but I do object to just dumping
recipes onto the list that one hasn't tried.

I see a big difference in this respect.

In Dave's case, he went to Epicurious, looked up chili oil, clicked on
recipes, and found 8 recipes which he reformatted into MM format.
Then he posted them.

Here's a URL for the page that has them:

http://www.epicurious.com/s97is.vts?action=filtersearch&filter=RSF.hts&keyword=chili+oil

Now, Dave did reformat them, so give him credit for that, and since they
were from Gourmet, Bon Apetite, etc. the recipes are probably good,
but really, why not just give a list of URLs and not post them.  I do not
believe that Dave tried these recipes _BEFORE_ posting them, maybe
something similar, but not these recipes.  I could be wrong, but I doubt
it.  His email to me indicated that he hadn't actually tried those
recipes.  Doug posts what he tried.  I see a big BIG difference.

FWIW, a long time ago, I looked up chile on Epicurious, and found many
recipes, which I haven't tried, and I didn't post them, though they are
interesting.

I've put the list of these links on a web page (it isn't available from
my home page, btw, the recipes listed on my home page are my own, not
anyone elses reformatted):

http://www.tiac.net/users/demas/chile.html

I haven't tried the recipes, and so I haven't posted them.  I didn't
think it was appropriate.  If I'd tried one and liked it, _THEN_ I
might have posted it.

There are lots of chile recipes available in different recipe archives
on the net.  Merely gathering them, and posting them to this list is
not what I think is right.

If you've actually tried it and liked it, post away.  But until you've
tried it, just post a pointer (if you really feel compelled).

Now, I'm not the listowner, so _MY_ opinion is merely my own.  I don't
speak for the listowner, Mike Bowers (and I never claimed I did), but I
have a right to speak up when I think someone's doing the wrong thing, and
I think that posting recipes you haven't tried is doing the wrong thing
for the chileheads list.  YMMV

Since I mentioned the chile recipes available from Epicurious, here are
the 30 or so recipe names of recipes I found there under chile (go to
http://www.tiac.net/users/demas/chile.html or Epicurious if you want the
URLs for the recipes or the recipes themselves):

   GRILLED RIB-EYE STEAKS WITH GREEN CHILE MUSHROOM SALSA BUTTER
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   GREEN CHILE MUSHROOM SALSA BUTTER
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   GRILLED SALMON IN CORN HUSKS
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   CHIPOTLE FRIED ONION RINGS
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   CHARRED SPICED BONITO TACOS
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   MUSSELS A LA PLANCHA
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   GOAT CHEESE WITH CHILE MORITA AND PILONCILLO SAUCE
        Gourmet  April 1996

   GRILLED SHRIMP WITH TAMARIND RECADO
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   GREEN CHILE CHEESEBURGER TOPPING
        Gourmet  June 1997

   RAJAS
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   RICE AND GREEN CHILE PILAF
        Gourmet  January 1995

   GRILLED GLASS-SKINNED CHICKEN
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   CHILES RELLENOS
        Gourmet  September 1995

   AUTHENTIC GUACAMOLE
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   CLAMS IN SPICY COCONUT-LIME BROTH
        Bon Appétit  June 1995

   ROASTED RED PEPPER AND EGGPLANT DIP WITH PITA WEDGES
        Gourmet  May 1994

   DRUNKEN BEANS
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   YAM MAKEUA YANG
        Gourmet  April 1996

   CHARRED HABANERO SALSA
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   SUN-DRIED TOMATO, CORIANDER, AND ROASTED RED PEPPER DIP
        Gourmet  April 1992

   TOMATILLO SALSA
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

   CHILE RELLENO TART
        Bon Appétit  December 1996

   CHILE CON QUESO Y CERVEZA
        Gourmet  October 1993

   SWEET-POTATO DIP
        Gourmet  August 1996

   CHILES RELLENOS
        Bon Appétit

   TURKEY CHILI
        House & Garden  November 1965

   SUN-DRIED TOMATO, GARLIC, AND JALAPENO PASTA
        Gourmet  June 1992

   BLACK BEAN AND VEGETABLE BURRITOS
        Bon Appétit  January 1996

   BLACK BEAN TART WITH CHILI CRUST
        Gourmet  January 1996

   SOPA DE AGUACATE
        Gourmet  June 1996

   CHARRED TOMATO MINT SALSA
        La Parilla: The Mexican Grill

Dave might have reformatted them and dumped them on the list, and _I_
don't think that would be right.  I hope this illustrates the point
I was trying to make.

BTW, if you go to my web page, bookmark the url links there that you like,
or save the recipes.  I'm not sure how long I'll keep this list of recipes
in my webspace.  You can get them through Epicurious though.

http://www.epicurious.com/

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas