Re: [CH] Not Chile oil but vinegar

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:47:44 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Linda Reynolds wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I was wondering how you would go about making hot vinegar.  I took a
> stopper bottle and just put 3-4 fresh cayennes, tops cut off, into a full
> bottle of vinegar.  I have left it set on the self for months and haven't
> tried it.  Will it kill me?  Should I have put it in the fridge? Should I
> have put in dried instead of fresh?  Should I dump it?

Should be fine, a pH below (more acetic than) 4.6 and botulism won't grow.
The acid doesn't kill the spores, AFAIK, it just that they won't grow
in that environment.  They have to grow and produce vegitative cells
which then produce the toxin that can kill you.  That's what I've
read anyway.

What you've done is very much like what people do to can peppers.

I don't know how hot the vinegar will be though, but there are companies
that sell peppers in vinegar where you use the vinegar, and it does get
have some heat to it.  I think they use serrano peppers.  Some people eat
the peppers when the vinegar runs out, others add more vinegar.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas